Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Cheerios and Pepsi

I have come to the conclusion that Cheerios and Diet Pepsi do not go well together. I accidentally just dropped three cheerios in my diet pepsi and I didn't know it until I drank them up a few minutes later. I thought, "Why is this pepsi so mushy and oaty?" It was all kind of gross.

I'm sending out our retreat forms for Steubenville East to a few other youth groups today. They don't have enough kids or chaperones to get a group together on their own, so I'm sub-leasing space in our trip to them.

Some days I don't really know what to do with myself. I have this feeling that if things are NOT moving at breakneck speeds, that I am slacking. Right now confirmation and CCD classes are over, we cut the Vacation Bible School in July because of budget problems, First Communions are the 9th, 10th, and 17th of May at the noraml weekend masses, and everything is done and I don't know what to do. I know in my head it is a well earned break, and there is still much I am responsible for in the coming weeks and months, not the least of which is never ever being away on a Sunday because there is no one to cover the band for me. But now that I am down to a forty hour week after 60-70 hour weeks from September through April, I feel like I'm working part-time and it doesn't feel good.

I know I should take advantage of it and get healthy after being sick for three weeks. I'm going down to Hammmonasset(state park/beach)in a few with a bunch of the teens when they get out of school. We're going to play ultimate frisbee...woo-hoo! I love looking across the water to Long Island.

I guess I'm really feeling a little guilty because I was having my lunch break here at work (pepsi and cheerios YUM)and I spent it on the phone with my sister Kathy because I worried about how sick she has been and I also knew that I would get a chance to talk to to her without the kids needing her and the after school/work craziness where she can never talk. I felt a little selfish because I woke her up. I get upset when she is sick, and now she is moving even farther away with her next assignment in Texas :(. I hate not seeing my family more often. Anyway we had a great talk and she is feeling a little better after resting today. (eeeewwwww one last chewy mouthful of pepsi- I forgot about the cheerios for a minute)


My point is about my working/not working...so we're on the phone and the parish secretary, not Susan my assistant, calls me on the intercom and says I have a call on line one. Which is weird because I have my own line and if they called the main line its probably just a telemarker or someone that doesn't know me. Now I have been on the phone for like 40 minutes and still have 20- left of my lunch hour...but
I take the call and feel so guilty about the following conversation:

Annie: Religious Educaiton Office

person: Hi, I'm blah blah blah from blah blah fundraising (my mind clicks off as we are in the midst of a fundraiser as well as just having completed one) and I want to tell you about blah blah blah blah and I sent a fax to you...

Annie (interrupting) well we just finished a fundraiser two weeks ago and are doing one right now so I won't be looking into one until next year but if you...

Person (interupting): Well can I ask what fundraisers you are doing?

Annie (giving out too much information that she doesn't owe this person and thinking that was a rude question): we just finished up with Yankee Candle and now we are doing Santus Catholic Jewelry but if you...

Person(interupting): Well those are good but if I could send you over blah blah blah what's your fax number I can blah blah...

Annie (interupting back again): our fax number is blah blah blah and if you fax it to me I will look at it for next year but I'm on the other line right now so I'll have to go.

Perosn: Okay thank you. I'll fax that right over...blah blah blah blah blah blah...

Annie. Your welcome, bye.

So then I say to Kathy who has been on my other ear:

Yes, I'm sorry but I'm on a person call right now and I don't have time for business related phone calls I'll have to hang up on you know.

It was funny and I shouldn't feel guilty because although I feel bad for this woman whose name I don't remmber but I'm sure she told me, we really CAN'T do another fundraiser now and I was on break, on my own cell phone, eating my own dry cheerios...
But I was just disapointed in myself I guess because even if SHE had been rude, usually I'm not so short with people. I'm not saying that I was rude, but I did appear rushed, and when people call a church they should be treated very friendly.

Ah well, so those are the things I feel guilty about today, not working unpaid overtime and being interupted on my lunch hour...what the heck is worng with me???

I guess it is just a part of me that feels that no matter how other people act or what other people do, I want to always be 'above reproach' and I didn't think I was today...

Going to the beach to do my job and sign kids up for retreat now :) Yay- gotta love Youth Minsitry...paid to play frisbee

Happy Wednesday

1 comment:

Maria said...

Hope you had fun playing frisbee. Your pictures were beautiful.

I know what you mean about feeling guilty. I thought there was something wrong with me because I did not have a good time in Gettysburg...too busy disciplining idiot 7th graders.

Oh well, I got over it and you will too. enjoy the break at work.