Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Happy times in Clinton, CT

I'm feeling really fulfilled and purposeful, if not super busy beyond all recognition at work these days.

Sometimes its easy to get complacent and it took a really great surge of parent and teen involvement to get me excited again. Since I make my own schedule, set my own goals, and plan all of my own activities for work, its easy for me, if something doesn't turnout how I want it to, to give up or not put as much energy and time into it as I normally would.

Year four must be when all the blood sweat (several concussions) and tears, start to pay off for Youth Ministry...

update grades 6-8- tough crowd, but overall very awesome...last year 100 kids by the end of the year...this year 120 on the first day and 5- 10 more each week so far...and they were respectful and sang and did their little evangelization skits...okay there was that kid in the back yelling out "Atheism Rules"...but hey, we'll take it slow :)

Now the High School crowd is the one that is really surprising me, I have 5 parents showing up to help me every Sunday Night, Which I've never had here in Clinton before this year! A normal Sunday night high school crowd at its peak was at around 15-25 (that's ranging HIGH) for the last three years...for the past three weeks we have had 40-55 kids showing up, bringing their friends who aren't even Catholic, and not just coming to the group but also to the mass, asking to join band, asking for me to plan activities, service projects, and parties for them. Yes, I lost some points when I wouldn't let them play Call of Duty 4 (rated MA for extreme violence, gore and language) during the game night, but we ended up cool. and Yes, there were a few conversations I heard that weren't the best or most uplifting...but we'll take it slow there too...they are all God's children and I feel very blessed right now to have a successful program going on...


Costume Party this Sunday...YAY

Monster Macaroni Bash....annual traditional St. Mary's family dinner and costume party...the teens and I will be decorating and serving the food...exciting costume parade as well...par-tay woot.

1 comment:

Maria said...

Your church sounds great. You are truly a blessing to them. I am so proud to know you!!

When do you get home for Turkey day?

We will be there on Tuesday night!

I know its only a month away and it has been 2 months since we saw you last!!

Did you like Jack's analysis of Tolkien and Rowling. Chris and Matt should be proud!