Thursday, February 5, 2009

Its all Greek to me

Do you know the greek alphabet? Are you able to write and pronounce it from memory? Yeah me either, until yesterday...here you go :) I hope you enjoy...my brain hurts

A few of my classmates were being a little loud and 'having fun' before class so Fr. John says, "All rigth then, how about one the ones having so much fun comes up and gets us started ont he board? I'll take a volunteer to write out the alphabet please."

At that moment I was so happy that I was quietly studying in the back of the room...But Br. Joshua got the whole thing. I was impressed...

I'm having a really hard time with my handwriting and the actual reading of greek, even though I can recognze the individual characters at this point.

I've been looking into doctoral programs at Fordham (Bronx, NY), Catholic Universityof America (Washington, DC), and Norte Dame (South Bend, IN), and of course the pipe dream to study in Rome. But one thing is for sure
-> I truly need to master this AND take Latin I & II if I'm ever moving forward after my M.A. and that makes me scared.

Anyway, here is your greek trivia for the day...because you feel like reading it:

Greek Alphabet

The Greek letters have consistent sounds – not like English, where a letter in different words or even different parts of the same word can be pronounced differently, such as “evert.”


FYI- To be able to type Greek characters in Windows, go to Control Panel/Regional and Language/Languages/Details. Then you can add Greek, and put an icon on the taskbar, and switch between languages with key shortcuts.


N=number; L=letter; T=transliterated; Named=what it is called; Pronounced=how to say it.




Ν L Named T Pronounced

1 α Α alpha a fa la la

2 β Β beta b be

3 γ Γ gamma g go

4 δ Δ delta d do

5 ε Ε epsilon e end

6 ζ Ζ zeta z zip

7 η Η eta ē ate

8 θ Θ theta th thin

9 ι Ι iota i it

10 κ Κ kappa k kin

11 λ Λ lambda l lamb

12 μ Μ mu m moo

13 ν Ν nu n no

14 ξ Ξ xi x fix

15 ο Ο omicron o on

16 π Π pi p pea

17 ρ Ρ rho r row

18 σ [ς] Σ sigma s see

19 τ Τ tau t tow

20 υ Υ upsilon u kip

21 φ Φ phi ph fine

22 χ Χ chi ch cry

23 ψ Ψ psi ps nips

24 ω Ω omega ō oh


and posting this helped me study :) :)

5 comments:

Maria said...

Cool, the alpha and the omega. I bought a Latin program to do with the kids over the summer.

I wish I had my old Latin textbook and a teacher's edition. I know I could re-teach myself if I saw the old translations.

"Gaul is divided into three parts..."

"The story of Romulus and Remus.."

So fun to read in Latin. My best friend was so smart she would make comic strips with Latin verses in them and make crazy translations like "I don't know" in Latin and stick them on History tests because Sr. Barbara never really read the History test, just gave out grades.

Hey I am on the 4th book...Bella is dying and Jacob is talking to her...

Talk to you soon.

Love ya!!!!

Chris said...

That is great annie. You should come to da bronx for more book learnin'. That would be cool.

andrea johnson said...

I think if I do it I will probably end up at Fordham...because my favorite professor teaches there and said he could set me up with housing and financially and teaching undergrad...etc... if that ever worked out I would be sooo incredibly happy!

Cathy said...

Well, I did learn the greek alphabet once. I almost pledged a sorority in college and then woke up and realized that it went against every grain in my body to "buy friends".

However,my roomates and I decided to create our own sorority, mostly to annoy other people. We called it "Shop" and used greek letters to spell it out. We then went to the mall and out to eat every Tuesday..... We had shirts and everything...it was a good time... haha

andrea johnson said...

Cathy- that is hysterical...

I want to make up my own sorority ..using all lowercase greek letters...