Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Today totally sucks...I feel skeeved...

Last night I left work early with an intense migraine and stomach ache... I fell asleep as soon as I got home, around 5:45...One of the youth ministry core members (my friend Missy) called me at 8pm to tell me how everything went. I don't remember the conversation, but I do remember not getting back to sleep until 2:00am...

This morning at 5:00am a construction crew started work on the new stair well, which just so happens to be attached to my bedroom window...mouths like sailors, hammering like banshees, and I think they can totally see in through my blinds...because I could see them... anyway, I gave up sleep and started getting ready for work. at 7:10 my phone rings...I know it can't be anyone I know...because everyone I know- knows that they will never reach me at 7:10 AM... I pick up thinking it is the construction guys, because they told me in the parking lot yesterday morning that they will be replacing my windows and doors at the end of the week...
Its not them.

It is "Jerry the Bug Man" He is a 51 year old Vietnam vet who lives with his mom, has a slight lisp, loves to talk about rats and mice, and asks me out once every six months when he comes to check the mouse traps. He always makes me feel very uncomfortable....VERY. The first time we met, he just banged on my door at 8:00am and said he needed to check the bait traps. I had no idea who he was and wouldn't let him in. I brought the bait traps to the door for him to check. That was the first time he asked me out, I was wearing old sweats, a hoodie and snow boots with sleep in my eyes and bedhead...and blocking my doorway while he held a bag of dead mice...needless to say I asked him to please call and schedule visits in advance (so I could be away)..I guess calling in advance is two hours before he shows up at my door, and always at 6 or 7 am...the next few times I either got out of the apartment and had the landlord let him in, or pretended to not be home. I have never had so much as an ant or spider in my house...and I keep it clean. It is the one place I can feel private, and I hate that there are weird men outside my bedroom windows and coming into my apartment. I have had three or four very uncomfortable experiences with this guy...once he left a pair of rosaries on my night stand...there are NO TRAPS in my bedroom...Today I told him I wasn't home, so when someone was at my door I assumed it was the construction guys to measure the windows...I was wrong...in comes Jerry...45 minutes and a self invited cup of tea later I know that I need to just be like "I have to go now" next time and just make him leave, but I can never seem to do it..but the whole time its like the worst I've ever felt in my life...seriously my hair stand on end and I feel like I need to shower, adn I wash my hands vigorously for ten minutes after I shake his hand...he said this morning was our first date...I told him my boyfriend wouldn't like that, and he looked crushed and I was glad..He said, "I didn't know you were seeing anyone..." freaking stalker... so I said, "Well yes we're getting serious now, we've know each other a long time and we're the same age and he's wonderful..."

He left and my hands were trembling...I know he is harmless, but I couldn't stop shaking for a half hour. "Once you find the rats' food source, then you can eliminate them." Really Jerry? I find that completely not fascinating! What is your food source? I would like to eliminate you...okay I know that isn't Christian, but ...well no buts...its just not Christian and I made fun of him anyway...confession here I come...

I spent the rest of the morning at the laundromat where I was the only one who spoke English, but that didn't bother me, I just hate laundromats in general and I made some conversation in espanol.

When I got to work Susan (my assistant) was here and she cheered me up so much, she is a very wonderful person and fun and we are always on the same page, page 42 usually, but now she is gone for the day...and I'm grading confirmation tests, and I'm very content that only 2 out of 54 failed :)...take the test, I dare you! www.stmaryclinton.com, click on youth ministry and you can download the test as a PDF...see if that Catholic schooling your mom and dad spent so much money and so many bingo nights and yard duties on stuck at all! lol

Anyway, I'm feeling a little better, or pretending to at least, but still kinda creeped out in general and I'm really glad that I'm going away from Fri-Mon for the Youth Group ski trip...it'll be good not to be in my apartment. I felt invaded today...

And is it just me, or should my landlord tell me these things instead of the people doing them? And is it not normal to start construction at 5am or call someone at 7??? Am I overreacting? And shouldn't my landlord ask me before giving out my cellphone number? I mean, I can take care of myself and I have mace and a baseball bat, but I AM a single woman alone in a basement, I wouldn't mind if he like, honored that a little...maybe I SHOULD move to Missy's garage place...

Something completely different. There is a great job in NYC my friends in the CFRs in the Bronx told me about "Director of Young Adult Ministry" Br. Daniel says it would be "Yours for the taking Annie!" its about 5-10k more a year, depending on what they offer, but its NYC, so rent...BUT I would get to do what I do now for liturgies, but in ... St. Patrick's Cathedral!!! I would organize a lot of Young Adult events, networking, rallies, retreats, etc...so I'm sending in my stuff, we'll see what happens. I would love working at St. Pat's, but I don't think I can afford Manhattan...or Brooklyn or Queens for that matter...and I don't finish my masters until next spring so I would have to come back to CT one day a week during the semester for the next year...but I'm not going to shovel before it snows...
Funny, everyone talks about how bad things are right now for jobs and I've had 3 offers this year and now this...turning to God must be a growth industry in these whacked-out times...

anyway, here is what Michael Scott hays to say about it all:


"Guess what? I have flaws. What are they? Oh, I don't know. I sing in the shower, sometimes I spend too much time volunteering occasionally I'll hit somebody with my car. So sue me. No, don't sue me. That's the opposite of the point that I am trying to make."

and I bid you good day... I hope yours was better than mine...

Why the hell did I let Jerry the bug man have a cup of tea???

4 comments:

Maria said...

OH Annie, I am so sorry!! Jerry the bug man sounds creepy. I have to say, landlords should not give out cell phone numbers. Mine gives out the home phone but repair people usually call in the evening. Construction workers actually do start early, about 6 or 6:30 here. 5am toooooo early.

You need a deadbolt on that door sweetie!!!

DO you think the job will still be there after you are finished up with your masters??? You need to get out of CT.

DON"T move into Missy's garage. Remember how you felt violated this AM....Missy's will be worse....those people will never give you privacy!!!

make the decision when you are calmed down.

Love you kiddo. wish you were here or I was there.

Chris said...

next time put some rat poison in it.

Chris said...

the $5-10 K/year would make up your rent I think. You can get a nice place in Queens or Brooklyn for relatively cheap--or you could have a roommate.

andrea johnson said...

Good idea on the poison :) but I don't have it handy because I have an exterminator :) You're probably right on the cost of living...we'll see what happens...